Thursday, October 25, 2007

Monkey See, Monkey Questions

If you ever want to become fully aware of all of the things you do and say on a daily basis, just have Ella - or any 3-year-old, I'm sure - follow you around for a day. You are sure to be enlightened!

Yes, the questions, which have been going on for some time now, seem to have multiplied exponentially over the past couple of weeks. Here is a sample conversation: What are you doing mom? Wiping the counter. Why are you wiping the counter? Because it is wet. Why is it wet? Because water spilled on it. Why did water spill on it? Because it came out of my cup. Why did it come out of your cup? Because I wasn't being careful. Why weren't you being careful? Because you were distracting me with all of your questions.....

Or when I say something that she doesn't think is correct. A couple of examples (both as we are driving):

Ella: Where are we going mom?
Me: We're going to go home, have some lunch, and then it will be time for you to take a rest. That's the plan Stan.
Ella: I NOT STAN!!

This one as we are looking for a parking spot in the parking garage, realizing that there are little to no spaces left
Me: It's a full house in here today!
Ella: This is not a house mom, it's a HOSPITAL!

Yes, anything (and everything!) we do is questioned. But it does not annoy me. It makes me put myself in her shoes, realizing how much of this big and crazy world there is to figure out. Not to mention this crazy English language. And how cool that I am the one that she is looking to to help her do that.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Thanks for sharing all your fun Ella stories! I like how you always comment about your enjoyment of the moments of her growing up. Thanks for all your notes this week.

Sittintall said...

Oh the joys of preschoolers! They say the darndest things. I have to say, Kyra doesn't really go around asking me a lot of why questions (but maybe that's yet to come). Anyway, thanks for sharing. What a patient mom.