Friday, October 19, 2007

The Brochure


As I was laying in the ER examining room and the doctors were discussing my upcoming procedure, they handed me a little booklet, filled with diagrams and explanations of everything involved in my gallbladder removal. Needless to say, I didn't read much of it right then, and I didn't take it to the OR with me. Instead, Ella decided to take it, peruse it, and claim it as her own.

Over a week later, she still hasn't let go of it. And I still haven't read it. I tried. Believe me, I did. But then Ella noticed me with it, and quickly shouted "that's mine!" and snatched it away.

She takes it with her when she naps. She takes it to the dinner table. I remove it. Sorry, can't look at diagrams with intestines as I eat elbow macaroni. She discusses every page and picture in it. I am the main character in the "story". She tells me all about what I went through, and what was happening inside. She makes me smile. I guess I don't need to read it when I have her to explain everythig to me.

Tonight, I asked her "what's in your tummy?" - fully expecting her to say what she had eaten for dinner. Instead, her reply was "my gallbladder! I don't have stones!"

Nope, she sure doesn't. But she sure does have a crazy interest in them.


6 comments:

Rebecca said...

This story is so funny! Sounds like you have a little academic on your hands. :)

The VM Family said...

This is hilarious. Our Ella sleeps with a soft blankie, yours sleeps with an intestine brochure!

Clearly your daughter inherited your senses of humor! :)

Love, Jen (for the fam)

Sittintall said...

What a character. I'm trying to invision her bringing the brochure to bed! LOL. Kyra, got a map of the new hospital that opened up down the road and didn't let that out of her sight for about a day, but a week!

Anonymous said...

Wow, What an experience (painful one) for you! I am glad that all went well. I wonder with all of these medical experiences and Ella's great attitude and interest towards them, if she will become a doctor.

Anonymous said...

Okay, it says anonymous, and I forgot to sign my name. The last message (10-21 at 9:49) is from Michelle B. I thought after all of the times I have enjoyed seeing the great pictures and reading your amazing entries, I should finally respond to one.

Unknown said...

Crazy child.

Wonder who she's related to? :-)