Saturday, April 19, 2008

Survived the Big 5.2 of 2008!

We survived the big Midwest earthquake! In case you haven't heard, the Midwest experienced an earthquake yesterday morning. I (Dave) heard about it at work and didn't think much about it. Then at night when I read one of the headlines in the local paper I found out that the tremors were even felt in our city and I thought "That's crazy! The epicenter was so far away from us. These people are nuts!" But then I read the article and saw the time of the earthquake and immediately my memory was jarred.

I was up early yesterday morning because I needed to finish up a presentation I was doing at work. At approximately 4:38 am the cat was sitting next to me on the floor and all of a sudden his eyes got big, he perked up his ears, and was staring at the door. I watched him and then I heard a "crack" and thought "Hmm, that's weird." I even looked over at the door and wondered if someone was outside. Then I just decided to dismiss the thought as nonsense. But ... little did I know that I had just survived my very first earthquake!

10 comments:

The VM Family said...

How strange that a native California gal like you had to move to the MIDWEST to feel her first earthquake!

My sister in GR told me about this-- crazy!

Sarah VB said...

It was crazy! But I wasn't the one that felt it - Dave was. He's the one who posted this entry. (: Yep, I've felt a few earthquakes in my life - but none in the midwest! (;
-Sarah

Unknown said...

Congrats on surviving your first earthquake, Dave. Now you're broken in & prepared for when y'all move to California. :-)

Sarah VB said...

Annette - I like the way you think!

Rebecca said...

What they don't tell you about earthquakes: sometimes you can actually hear them coming. That happens where I live and it is CREEPY!!

Anonymous said...

I am not in favor of this California thing. Michelle

Sittintall said...

Wow. That doesn't happen in many people's lifetime. We read about it in the paper this weekend, but didn't feel it ourselves. The paper said it shook some buildings downtown Chicago too!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Dave- I'll take an earthquake like you had over a tornado any day! I like Annette's thinking, too!!

Anonymous said...

I'm not too fond of the "moving to California" line of thinking. But if you moved there... it would be a fun place to visit!!
-CRS

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.